Thursday, September 25

Idiosyncrasies of Ramadhan

It's Rahmadan! Ramadhan has never meant anything to me at all back in Kuantan, although the East Coast is indeed denser with Bumis. It's the second Ramadhan month over here, and I have to say, things so different during this fasting month.

One thing for sure, we can't munch on biscuits freely during lectures, or drench in gulps of water without feeling guilty because there's just so many people who are fasting within my college. It is almost as if we are awfully discourteous towards the Malays, without expressing any consideration if we eat in public. Well.. being the lousy person I always am, I still eat in col wherever I like. In fact, I am now gleefully sucking tubes of Choki Choki in the library :D

Another aspect I find unbearable during puasa moths is the amount of people in restaurants during dinner time. This, might be a different story depending on areas. In shah alam, people literally enter restaurants in throngs by 6.30pm. The whole restaurant then transform into such a chaotic situation that you have to wait an hour for your food to be served even you secured yourself a place. As if the situation wansn't bad enough, many went to the extent of booking tables, invisibly occupying the already jam-packed eatery, just to ensure that they can have that bowl of rice in time. Austinians - remember the Atusa buka puasa dinner that we were conned by Tim into attending? Anyway, we did have a great time despite waiting for an hour for 3 dishes. :D

If there's something that I like about fasting month, that would be the Ramadhan Bazaar. Ngek. It amazes me that how Ramadhan Bazaars are all around the place, it seems that they've come mushrooming out of nowhere. What do these people normally do for a living? Anyway, RB encompasses some of the best Malay food and snacks that you can get, my favourite being the murtabak and the wide array of kuih-muih that normally one can only get from morning markets. As an added bonus, prices are usually cheaper in RBs.

People in the States, I wonder how is the bulan puasa climate over there. Do you miss the Ramadhan Bazaar? ;)



p/s: I breathed a sigh of relief. The Bio report has been submitted and finally, I am ready for a break.

5 comments:

Liz said...

lol. when its not ramadhan, they have proper jobs....

like, did you see mr sohaimi! he's selling drinks! i didn't notice it was him until i bought drinks from the stall. lolz!

airina said...

omg are u freaking kidding? where is he selling!! so he works half day at ossp or what?

Yoke Peng 玉萍 said...

Wow. En sohaimi?! WOW! lol.

Hmm. I didn't even feel that it's ramadhan here juz like I used to be in Penang. Lol. No ppl tat I aware of is fasting.

Miss the bazar tho. =)

Poirot1989 said...

Tim....wth...it's ok...i get to sit with girls that day! haha!

Nah....ramadan month isn't much of a big deal here. Not many muslims....or at least don't bump into them often.

Enjoy yourself there! And don't eat too much choki choki....nanti fat.

Regards,
Jian Wei

Sabrina said...

sohaimi selling drinks????????????

OMG!!!
hahaha
didn't expect that.

raya here feels so dead, well, duh.
but i miss home