Wednesday, June 25

Emanuel Ax in Town!

What I love about classical concerts is that they start punctually, finish on time, minus the hot and stuffy stadium with a rambunctious crowd screaming their heads off throughout the entire experience. Especially when you pay much less and get to sit in and air-conditioned hall listening to a world class performer. What pleasurable auditory. The thought that classical music as rigid and dead is the most inaccurate fallacy ever. What music can be more alive when people are still performing it after centuries?




Emanuel Ax had a concert in town last night. It's been quite some time since I last watched concert on solo piano. When was it, 4 years ago? Since Volodos lar. I must admit that what makes me attend a concert is not what the performer is playing, but who is performing. So when I read that Emanuel Ax is gonna be in M'sia, I almost couldn't belive my luck. Emanuel Ax, best friend of Yo-yo Ma; Emanuel Ax, the one who won the Arthur Rubinstein Competition at the age of 25? Yes IT's HIM. *swoons*






Well, I think if there were any setbacks, the only one would be a repertoire that I think it's a little lopsided. Even cy felt that the music was too much of a kind. Schubert - Liszt - Schubert - Liszt - Schubert - Liszt - Liszt. Romantic pieces. Even the last 2 encore pieces was again another eminent name in romanticism - Chopin. Nocturne in D flat and Waltz in A flat if I've not mistaken.

And the best part of it all?




A photograph with the concertmaster himself! Wee.....


p/s: Tried out the new Sbux Dark Mocha Frap. Very much like Java Chip, nothing special.


No comments: